Pyrocachers Rambles

The ramblings of Dave-Mancunian Pyrocacher, Husband & carer, Father of 2, and a addicted Geocacher. Ramblings about Life- caching-and everything!

Monday, January 17, 2005

Cats, Ladders and satellite Dishes, on a quiet day!

As part of her birthday present, my daughter got Sky in her bedroom. This as already noted entailed the purchase of a Quad LNB (the bit on the end of the arm on the satellite dish), which now means that we can have 4 Sky boxes in the house.

But First I had to swap it, for the old LNB. After looking at it (there was no instructions with it), and a bit of research on the net, it turned out that all I had to do was swap them over, run a cable from it into her room, and attach the box to a telephone line.

Ok out comes my extension ladder, and up it goes (the dish is to the side, and just bellow her bedroom window). First job, run the cable from the box to the dish. Umm, wrong first job is, were is the box going, secondly go and get two F2 connectors (small screw on connectors which join the coaxle[tv]cable to the box and dish). My pocket £1.98 lighter (this is getting expensive), I'm all set.

Luckily I'd previously drilled a hole for a cable, to connect to the tv aerial, so all I had to do was feed the cable through. This I did, but which involved opening the bedroom window. Now remember, I've already mentioned that I'd set up my extension ladder, and the top of it was just under the bedroom window sill. Who should be face to face with me as I 'm feeding the cable through the hole, but smudge, one of our cats! He'd only climbed up the ladder, and was at the top! Right my lad, one quick grab latter and he's back in the house.

Cable trimmed, and F2 connectors on. It was time for the part that I was dreading! Changing the LNB's over. First of all I disconnected the Sky box down stairs, to the annoyance of my son.then I nipped back up stairs, to get the new LNB, who should be looking in the window again but, yep thats right Smudge!

Once he'd been rescued again, time for me to go up the ladder! Luckily swapping the LNB's was just a case of, disconnecting the cable, and pulling the LNB off the arm, before doing the reverse with the new one. I then went and checked that the old box had a signal, before joining the new box. Now for the fun part how to run the telephone line.

That was if I had the right cable and connectors, well after some rooting, I came up with the goods. Ok were is the cable going to run.The box is at the front of the house, the socket at the back of the house down stairs. Ah brain wave time, a small hole through the floor and celling bellow, and I can link into the cable to the other Sky box.You have to have a second box connected to a phone line for 12 months, to qualify for the reduced fee of £10pm for the extra subscription (it's worth it, to save 2 teenagers, arguing about whose watching what).

So there you have it! My quiet day, involving Cats, ladders, and Satellite Dishes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home