Pyrocachers Rambles

The ramblings of Dave-Mancunian Pyrocacher, Husband & carer, Father of 2, and a addicted Geocacher. Ramblings about Life- caching-and everything!

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Guess who got lost, on the way to the cache?

"Sunday, PC, Sunday"! No, I've not miss quoted! It started off as a bad day!

When we got home Saturday night, the PC was paying up. The anti virus program had previously found 3 virus's in my daughters profile on the PC, not being a tekkie, and it was not doing anything about it (something to do with deeply embedded java?), I was advised to uninstall the program, install another antvirus, which would delete the affected files, this I did. The only problem being if the computer went off for any reason (such as a super sensitive main trip, not like certain power tools), it did a scan on boot up lasting over a hour. Right I thought, I'll see if that font of PC knowlage Computer Active could help me find a very cheep (oh alright, free) one.

Oh no, I couldn't get anything to download. Fine time for bed, and sort it in the morning!

Sunday morning seemed to be a bright day, ok time to have a scrap with the PC! First thing to try, the old stand by, "System Restore", this has pulled me out of many a tight spot, and usually comes out the winner! First off, pick a date to go back to.

I decided to go back about 8 days, which should put me back before all the problems. A few clicks later, and back it was going, with me sat in the chair looking smug, thinking I'd beaten it!. S-R finished, ok time to check on my emails, "what the bl***y h*ll!!!! Won't make a connection to the net, check everything is connected, cable wise! Uninstal, and reinstall the modem. Still no connection, ok S-R back further still! No luck, right time for the over half to get to work!

On the phone to the ISP (Internet service provider), yes the bill was upto date, no they had no technical problems, suggest you check with BT regarding the line (she was using it to speak to them). BT next, no they weren't working on the exchange or line, a quick check indicated that everything was ok, speak to your ISP. See the circle developing?

Right, it's time for the final and ultimate weapon! A complete reinstall of everything! OK finally completed, and I start to build back up everything need one each profile, now it's time to chill out, I know I'll go and replace the missing container for a cache that I've just adopted! Hockenhull Platts, GCD355, sounds easy? Yes since I was close by last week and saw a sign for Hockenhull Platts, and I'd previously found it! Well I got onto the A55, and then onto the A51, and headed down looking for the sign. And reached the roundabout, ok I've gone too far, so back the way I came, all the way back to the A55 roundabout! Sounds familiar? Back up the A51 again, once again missing the turning (there are 3 ways to the cache site, the one I was after is only 250m from car to cache), back at the roundabout, and turn right, ignoring the first turn off (which leads to a foot path leading to the cache, the foot path begins by going through a farm/small units yard, I didn't like the look of it last time!), ok next turning should lead me to another foot path, which runs together with the other one but behind the unit! Well I found the start of the path, but there was a tractor blocking the way, with a slurry trailer attached, this path is drivable part of the way, but I'm not going to try squeezing past that stink! Back the way I came, and retrace my route, found the right turn off this time (but no sign!), turned down, a longer journey further down the road than I remembered, and the next turning came up (hint if you've not done this cache, and work out the correct road, look for a B&B, turn there, and go straight past). I parked slightly further away from the end of the road ,as there was already a car parked there, and there is a field entrance there as well.

Well 4PawDrive and I took a short stroll over the 3 bridges, and I replaced the container (sorry no more hints), but hey! Where's 4Paw? As we had said hello to a couple walking their dog, who were walking back to the car, I thought that 4Paw, had gone after their dog. Ah no there she was, on the other side of one off the bridges, running back up a field, phew!

I decided to check out the rest of the foot path, and give 4Paw a good walk. Along the way we bumped into several other dogs, and their owners, which made 4Paws day. Using the GPSr I reckon the closest that you can get with a car that way is 900m. We walked back to the car, and home to start tea. Oh and more PC problems, this time I did the armegedon answer, reformatted the hard drive, reinstalled everything, this time everything seems ok!

1 Comments:

  • At 1:40 pm, Blogger Absoblogginlutely! said…

    sounds like you need to get a copy of ghost or something to back your machine up.
    As far as antivirus then avast has a home edition at http://antivir.com has some free av software which works pretty well. I'm now using it on a couple of pc's.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home